Gelatin silver print
Photo Image Collection, Pacific University Archives (Forest Grove, Oregon, USA)
The bronze statue known as "Boxer" was given to Pacific in 1898 by Rev. Joseph Elkanah Walker. (Originally, the Chinese incense burner was known as "College Spirit"; the name "Boxer," a reference to the Boxer Rebellion, was coined by the Index staff in 1908.) While serving as a missionary to China, Rev. Walker bought the statue and sent it to his mother, who in turn donated it to Pacific. Boxer managed to stay on display for only a year before the first student "theft" literally launched it into its more active role in campus life, one that it would maintain for many years to come.