GooScripts + Spreadsheets = Bacon

Tim Chase, Oregon Virtual School District

This session is related to Google-tools sessions I've done at TCEA, ITEA, and NCCE. (This year I was honored to be among the Featured Speakers at NCCE in Portland.)

Resources: www.edtech2020.com

Teachers are communicators, and most teachers don't yet know about the powerful ways that Google scripts can improve their communication. With Doctopus, a teacher can distribute a copy of a Google Doc to each student with permissions for the student and teacher to both edit--all with a couple of keystrokes once it's been set up. With FormEmailer, students and parents can receive an email upon form-submission, with the contents of their submission embedded into the email. With Autocrat a similar result can be created but the results are embedded into a PDF or Doc rather than the email body.

These are the scripts that I've used to streamline classroom communication, both in face to face classes and in virtual environments. They are so handy, but there are so many more that I haven't tried yet.

In this session, participants first see a slideshow of my many uses of these Google Spreadsheet scripts in action. This is faster than actually typing to create. Then we actually create a spreadsheet, filling it via form-submits, and apply one of our scripts. To increase engagement and participation, I give a volunteer my wireless keyboard rather than operating the computer myself.

Still, the participants need to get hands-on with scripts or they'll leave and not put them into practice. So at this point we break into three groups (based on the three scripts) and actually have participants installing scripts and seeing how they play. This is done solo or in pairs.

A final reporting-back session closes the workshop, and we brainstorm (again via Google Form submissions) about ways that these scripts can improve our professional practice TOMORROW.

Unpack dynamite classroom-oriented Google Scripts like DOCTOPUS, Autocrat, and Formemailer. Free to install, these spreadsheet scripts open represent worlds of automated possibilities and make managing your classroom life EASIER.

GooScripts + Spreadsheets = Bacon