The Realities of Technology in the Classroom

Serena Chidester Fryer, Forest Grove School District

Implementing technology in the classroom is a challenge. The barriers are numerous and can be extremely daunting. I personally have spent the last couple of years struggling to bring technology into my classroom beyond e-readers, math app stations and some great Smart Notebook slides. I have been introduced to many great ideas in my ten years of teaching. I have written down many websites to check out. I have met many educators doing innovative things in their classrooms. I know that kids are more tech-savvy than their teachers. I know that younger teachers are more tech-savvy than I am. I know that children need technology skills to be successful in their academic careers and adult lives. And yet I continue to find myself struggling to implement any activities that are innovative and effective. I know that I am not alone. This struggle is widespread across education. It is a conversation that deserves a place at technology conferences.

I propose a presentation in which I will facilitate a solutions oriented discussion about the reality of the barriers that teachers face in schools, preventing them from doing more. Barriers that I have encountered and will bring into the discussion include a small number of devices to use with large classes, isolation, logistic uncertainty, scheduling, minimal training on implementation realities and a heightened sense of unreliability.

My goal is that participants leave the discussion with a positive outlook on technology implementation. I truly believe that it is possible to do more. I want to talk with technology optimists and create a space for educators and incoming educators to share their experiences and knowledge. Participants will leave encouraged to overcome barriers and use technology in their classrooms.

Join an elementary school teacher for a solutions oriented discussion about the reality of the barriers that teachers face in schools preventing, or perhaps excusing us, from doing more with technology.