Presenter Information

Karolyn IsmayFollow

Presenter Type

Student

Brief Bio Sketch

I am a first year doctoral student in Pacific University’s PhD program in Education and Leadership. I also work in Student Life at Pacific, serving in the roles of Area Coordinator and Deputy Title IX Coordinator for the departments of Residence Life and Student Conduct. I earned my Master’s at Colorado State University in 2011 and have worked in the field of Student Affairs ever since, including Academic Advising, Residence Life, and Student Government. I believe in fostering campus climates that support student learning and development both in and out of the classroom. I enjoy the food scene in Portland and I love traveling, especially visiting my family in Argentina. My partner and I have a six year old rescue golden retriever/collie named Madison who loves frisbees and the snow.

I looked at research in the hiring practices for student staff (commonly known as Resident Assistants or RAs) within Residence Life and Housing departments in higher education and the student staff members’ success on the job. I searched for articles and research around RA hiring models, efficacy of RA hiring methods, other hiring models within Student Affairs in higher education, and hiring practices outside education. I searched various peer reviewed databases and read dissertations published online. I had hoped to find more research and more recent research (much was from 1960-80s) than I did, which led me to look at practices outside higher education as well. I found research that did not include much long-term analysis. Much of the research did not find any correlation between various hiring metrics and RA success on the job. A few linked GPA and/or the interview with success on the job. Craig (2014) noted that there were too few unsuccessful RAs (those who quit or were terminated) to differentiate from the successful RAs which might also be true of other studies I found. No studies were retrospective in nature, looking at unsuccessful or low performing RAs and high performing RAs and compared their applications.

Location

Tran Library, Media Commons

Start Date

January 2018

End Date

January 2018

Share

COinS

Jan 27th, 11:40 AM Jan 27th, 11:50 AM

Resident Assistant hiring models: Which application markers and processes indicate later success in the job?

Tran Library, Media Commons