Title of Submission

Discovering pathways to partnership: a review of university and school district collaboration

Presenter Information

Kate EckertFollow

Presenter Type

Student

Brief Bio Sketch

I have worked at Pacific University as the School & Community Partnership Coordinator for the School of Learning & Teaching since March 2016. My current role includes coordinating placements and placement processes for teacher candidates and practicum teachers, student teacher supervision, and fostering partnerships with K-12 schools and community organizations. I earned dual Bachelor of Science degrees in Elementary Education and Liberal Studies: Math/Science from Rowan University in May 2009. I spent seven years teaching middle school math in Southampton Township Public School District in Southampton, NJ while completing a Master of Science degree in Educational Leadership from Delaware Valley University in May 2013 and obtaining administrative certifications. I am currently a PhD student in Pacific University’s Education & Leadership program. My research interests include interprofessional practices for clinical work, teacher candidate dispositions, and data-driven instruction. My favorite things include my shih tzus Bella and Eddy, hiking, Halloween, roller coasters, anime, movies of all varieties, and delicious foods.

I reviewed the literature surrounding K-12 school and university partnerships. I began broadly, looking at the types of partnerships that K-12 schools have made with a university as a whole, and then narrowed my research to look at K-12 partnerships with educator preparation programs. Within educator preparation programs, I am specifically interested in clinical experience placements being a byproduct of strong partnerships with K-12 schools, as well as for universities to help meet district needs perhaps via “grow your own” models and professional development for inservices teachers. I completed this task by searching for relevant articles in databases online. I have found that successful partnerships require careful preparation, outstanding implementation, and thorough follow through. There should be a mutually agreed upon shared vision based on a passion for the issues at hand, as well as a variety of roles based on the resources of each partner. The partnership should additionally have a system for measuring outcomes and consistently be looking to improve upon those outcomes. Students (whether we’re talking about K-12 students or teacher candidates) have the most to gain from a strong university/K-12 partnership. I found that the current research struggles to accurately assess student outcomes and also has yet to explore interprofessional practices. Through my coursework this semester, I have come to believe that education can benefit from health professions in regards to their clinical practices, particularly via the new interprofessional model for placements. I am certain that there are undiscovered benefits, strategies, and characteristics of education partnerships that can generate better learning outcomes for students and future educators.

Location

Tran Library, Media Commons

Start Date

January 2018

End Date

January 2018

Jan 27th, 11:50 AM Jan 27th, 12:00 PM

Tran Library, Media Commons