•  
  •  

When I entered graduate school at the University of Washington (UW) in 2000, I knew I wanted to be a public librarian. However, with an undergraduate minor in art and a pervasive interest in museums, I remained secretly fascinated by special libraries. I mean, how cool would it be to work at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Library & Archives (http://library.rockhall.com/home) or the Margaret Herrick Library of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (http://www.oscars.org/library)?

According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, “(s)pecial librarians work in settings other than school or public libraries … Law firms, hospitals, businesses, museums, government agencies, and many other groups have their own libraries that use special librarians” (Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2018, para. 10). According to the American Library Association, there are approximately 6,966 special libraries or information centers (“special libraries include Corporate, Medical, Law, Religious, etc.”) in the United States (American Library Association, 2015, para. 5).

Author Biography

Since March 2018, Sue has been the Law Librarian for the Lane County Law Library; prior to that, she was the Assistant Law Librarian at Washington County (OR) Law Library for over five years. She earned her MLIS from the University of Washington in 2002 and worked for 10 years in public libraries as a teen services librarian. Upon receiving her Paralegal Studies certificate in 2012, Sue transitioned into the world of public law librarianship and has found great satisfaction in serving the patrons of these special libraries. When not librarianing, she enjoys hiking, crossword puzzles, beer, local politics, and live music.

Copyright statement

© 2018 Sue Ludington

Share

COinS

To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.