Thesis

Multicultural education: Issues concerning the ESL student

16 December 1993

The focus of this paper is on ESL students and the resources that are available to them as learners of the English language in school. The importance of this issue cannot be understated; the numbers of students we are gaining from various cultures and then losing each year is truly astounding. As educators, we need to be aware of ways to meet the needs of all the students in the classroom. My purpose for this study was to investigate the ways that multicultural education might assist in improving the adjustment process of ESL/LEP students, and at the same time prove very beneficial for all students from all backgrounds. In order to acquire information from a variety of sources, I examined literature pertaining to these subjects, observed and spoke to students and teachers in three different schools, and interviewed one student who had already emerged from the school system, and was a form er ESL student himself. I found that when ESL students had the opportunity to complete projects, write papers, and read books from a variety of different cultures they were more satisfied, motivated, and willing to accept challenges throughout their educational experiences.

Files

Files are restricted to Pacific University. Sign in to view.