Uncategorized

From Where I Came

1 January 2014

Ancestral places provide a powerful glimpse into the lives of our descendants. Visiting ancestral places may impart a greater understanding of the generation or generations that came before and therefore provide connectivity. An ancestral place may be a birthplace, family roots, culture, or tradition. It starts with a deep longing to find this connectivity and then moves to traveling to From Where I Came.

From Where I Came is a website (http://fromwhereicame.wordpress.com/) that resulted from a journey to family roots in Lithuania. It answers the questions of why a person longs for specific foods, prefers a particular terrain and weather, and feels comfortable in a certain lifestyle. It invites others to tell their story of culture, heritage, and self-identity.

Occupational therapy students distributed surveys via e-mail or in person to willing participants within two weeks of interviews or written submissions to the From Where I Came website. Four surveys were distributed and all participants returned the surveys with every question answered. Each survey consisted of six questions on a five-point Likert scale that highlighted topics of social connectedness, cultural discovery, and personal identity related to each participant’s experience of submitting their story or being an interviewee. Three open-ended questions were included at the end of the survey to capture participant thoughts and suggestions intended for further research.

Files

File nameDate UploadedVisibilityFile size
Main File
18 Mar 2020
Public
7.55 MB