Article

Discovering pathways to partnership: a review of university and school district collaboration

27 January 2018

I reviewed the literature surrounding K-12 school and university partnerships. I began broadly, looking at the types of partnerships that K-12 schools have made with a university as a whole, and then narrowed my research to look at K-12 partnerships with educator preparation programs. Within educator preparation programs, I am specifically interested in clinical experience placements being a byproduct of strong partnerships with K-12 schools, as well as for universities to help meet district needs perhaps via “grow your own” models and professional development for inservices teachers. I completed this task by searching for relevant articles in databases online. I have found that successful partnerships require careful preparation, outstanding implementation, and thorough follow through. There should be a mutually agreed upon shared vision based on a passion for the issues at hand, as well as a variety of roles based on the resources of each partner. The partnership should additionally have a system for measuring outcomes and consistently be looking to improve upon those outcomes. Students (whether we’re talking about K-12 students or teacher candidates) have the most to gain from a strong university/K-12 partnership. I found that the current research struggles to accurately assess student outcomes and also has yet to explore interprofessional practices. Through my coursework this semester, I have come to believe that education can benefit from health professions in regards to their clinical practices, particularly via the new interprofessional model for placements. I am certain that there are undiscovered benefits, strategies, and characteristics of education partnerships that can generate better learning outcomes for students and future educators.

Files

This is a metadata only record.