Thesis

A study of the trends and diagnosis of attention defecit hyperactivity disorder

9 August 2001

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a label given to a cluster of symptoms. ADHD has become the fastest growing diagnosis of children and adolescents in the United States, and it is rapidly increasing in adults. Because I will have students in my classroom each year that are affected by ADHD, I chose to base my study on the trends and diagnosis of ADHD. This study took place in a small rural intermediate school in the Pacific Northwest. This qualitative study is based on two young boys who have ADHD. Several types of data were collected for this study. A review of literature was conducted, observations made, interviews with parents, students and colleagues were held. My research revealed that each case of ADHD is a unique case. Just as two human beings are never the same, so is this disorder. I found each child to possess some similar symptoms but also very unique symptoms that pertained to only the individual. Through this research I learned a variety of different techniques that contributed to the academic success of the gentlemen studied. also realized the great need for current medical/scientific information to be passed on to educators and parents. With this information we will be better able to understand and teach children who have ADHD.

Files

Files are restricted to Pacific University. Sign in to view.