Dissertation

Program evaluation of Multnomah county probation services batterer prevention program

15 December 1989

One hundred one male batterers sentenced to probation for assault charges against females were non-randomly assigned to either the probation-operated batterer prevention program (Group I), or to one of the community-based batterer prevention programs (Group II), or to the no-treatment program (Group III). After an average duration of 38.5 months criminal records indicated that 26 batterers failed by reoffending against females. A retrospective study collected data on several variables then compared the descriptive statistics over the three groups. The comparison by groups of reoffenders of violent crimes and reoffenders against females. showed Group III accounted for 55% of all reoffenses and 61% of all reoffenses against females. Comparison of reoffenders against females showed only two completed treatment. Comparison by group showed that reoffenders had twice the number of previous arrests and nearly three times the number of previous arrests for spouse abuse. Comparison by group of those reoffending against females showed that Group III had nearly half of all the previous arrests and previous arrests for spouse abuse. Rearrests while on probation and up to one year later indicated Group III had a much higher rate (24%) than the other two groups. Frequency of substance abuse, childhood abuse, and unemployment by group found only 17% of Group III had childhood histories of abuse and 79% had a history of unemployment. For those who reoffended against females, Groups I and II both had over 80% who were substance abusers, while Group III had only 54%. Group III had 100% unemployed who reoffended against females. Comparing by group those who were successful in treatment or on probation, Group III had only 13%. Comparison of the reoffenders against females found that Group I had 100% who had been placed in jail who had reoffended against females, while Groups II and III had nearly 65% each. Group I had only one successfully complete treatment who reoffended against females, while Groups II and III had two each. Variables that may contribute or help identify those who may reoffend against females were unemployment, 100% for Group III; being placed in jail, 100% for Group I; failure in treatment, 89% for Group I; and previous arrests for spouse abuse, 50% for Group III.

Files

Files are restricted to Pacific University. Sign in to view.