Capstone

Oregon, Planning, and the Ideal Postwar State

1 May 2014

[From the introduction]

This paper will place the Oregon Postwar Readjustment and Development Commission in context with the historical development of New Deal ideologies throughout the 1930s and 40s. Using the Commission’s handling of the population, public works, timber industry, and consumerist behaviors. Similarly to Robbins, I will argue that this Commission is reinvigoration of philosophies from the “first New Deal”, such as government planning within the economy, by using the Commission’s handling of Oregon’s population, public works projects, and consumerist behaviors. However, and this is where I separate myself from Robbins, I argue that the Commission embodied principles from the “Second New Deal”, which was heavily linked with Keynesian economic ideas regarding the role of government in fostering economic activity. Moreover, I will argue that this Commission is the ultimate apex of New Deal policies due to the embracement of its reports and recommendations that go without class or political clashes that were typical among previous New Deal era policies.

Files

File nameDate UploadedVisibilityFile size
Main File
18 Mar 2020
Public
906 kB