Thesis

Overview of a reading program in a 2/3 multi-age classroom

1 May 1998

The purpose of this qualitative study was to answer the following question: 1) How does a teacher-designed reading program use whole language principles in a second and third multiage classroom? Whole language has been a controversial approach to learning for many years, but it is the belief of many researchers that whole language is a positive influence in the classroom. Whole language embodies a belief that students and teachers should work together in a democratic environment to become mutual learners and teachers (Goodman, 1992). This study took place in a suburban second and third grade mUlti-age classroom. Information was gathered within this classroom setting using a variety of methodological approaches including written observations and taped interviews After collecting, organizing and analyzing the observations, and interviews I found that much of what I saw in the classroom paralleled the research in my literature review. My research revealed that there are a variety of ways to interpret whole language principles and incorporate them into the classroom, some of these principles I saw were W.E.B, and D.E.A.R.

Files

Files are restricted to Pacific University. Sign in to view.