Thesis

A short-term longitudinal study of the effects of a mindfulness training course on time perspective

20 July 2012

Time perspective refers to the extent to which an individual’s present experience is influenced by recollections from their past, fantasies about their future, or their attention to the present moment. Mindfulness refers to an individual’s ability to remain present and fully aware of his or her thoughts, bodily sensations, and environmental stimuli. Relationships between time perspective and mindfulness are not well explicated in either theoretical or research literature, and neither is the degree to which time perspective can change over time. I hypothesized that biases in time perspective would decrease over time as a result of mindfulness practice. I compared measures of time perspective and mindfulness in graduate students enrolled in a mindfulness intervention class with those in another class. A mixed-model repeated measures MANOVA was conducted. I examined within-group differences on the dependent variables for the intervention group, as well as differences between the two groups. The results did not offer support to my hypothesis. This paper presents analyses of the results and discusses implications for future research.

Files

Files are restricted to Pacific University. Sign in to view.