Thesis

Educational inequities: Specifically T.A.G. and L.E.P.

1 June 1996

In order to find a successful and holistic teaching strategy for the under-served special needs of T.A.G. (talented and gifted) and L.E.P. (limited English proficient), three avenues of research were pursued.

First, through a review of literature, I determined that there were three basic areas of consideration when putting together a successful plan for a holistic teaching strategy. These basic areas are cultural inclusion, community building, and cooperative learning based curriculum.

These particular areas were then scrutinized within a classroom of twenty-five first graders whose teacher was and is a successful teacher in the eyes of her peers and community. Besides interviewing her about her philosophy of education, I took notations on her class as a participant observer. For further understanding of how these three areas work together to create a holistic teaching strategy, I used my own information from working with the students myself. I worked with a group of T.A.G. students, and a group of L.E.P. students.

By the end of my research, and after determining my findings, I discovered that the three basic areas I studied really are essential parts of a successful holistic teaching strategy, and would work well for both T.A.G. and L.E.P. students.

Files

Files are restricted to Pacific University. Sign in to view.